The BARC Arts Program is a year round arts program that explores various aspects of the arts in 4 – 5 week segments from September through March. Yearly this program will be exploring visual art, music, dance & theater, using the expertise of several artists and performers in our area. Sessions will be offered to a variety of age groups and locations depending on the modality being explored. The cost will be $30-$50 per student per session depending on the materials needed. Some examples of previous sessions are:
- Printmaking- In printmaking your child was guided through the world of printmaking. Your little artist will uses their imagination to design positive and negative prints using a variety of different mediums, inks and rollers to design their own work of art! We will also be carving a variety of materials and creating Japanese Fish prints.
- Mural Painting- In this session students worked together to create a mural that was designed and implemented as a group
- Music in Motion (for Pre-K) – This program introduces your toddlers to both traditional and unique children songs. We learn specific movements and finger plays to songs such as Mulberry Bush, Itsy Bitsy Spider & Little Peter Rabbit among many others.
- Creative Candle Making- In this class students create and build their very own candles each week based on a theme. The students will learn about the candle creating process. This is a very unique and special class that will truly inspire students’ imagination.
- Jewelry Making- In this class students learn to make several different projects using beads and other crafting materials. A variety of different beads and cords will be used to make some jewelry and non-jewelry items. This class takes place on site and at a local business.
- Nature Art Program & Nature Exploration Club- The Nature Art program & Nature Exploration Club both take a non-traditional approach to art in order to engage children’s imagination and creativity. This program focuses on connecting children with the outdoors by using natural art materials. Children who have a connection to the outdoors often have a longer attention span and a better connection to themselves. Our goal is to connect children to themselves and help them better understand their feelings and emotions through non-traditional art. A hike is included in every activity for the Nature Exploration Club.
- Tae Kwon Do- Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts program will help your child improve many character development traits. You will see an improvement in fitness, focus, self-control, and self-esteem. We strive to incorporate the tenants of Tae Kwon Do which includes Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit in every class, all while having fun!
- Theater Skills Workshop- In this five week acting intensive, students work on basic stage acting skills including improvisation, scene study and monologues. This is a great class for anyone, grades 6-10, who is interested in acting- whether they are novice or experienced. The goal is to create a safe environment where each student can feel free to express themselves through performing.
- Virtual Cooking Class – Discover each of the food groups that make up MyPlate! Every week we will focus on a specific food group and prepare a delicious snack that highlights this food group. Follow along, practicing your culinary skills and learn how getting nutrients from each of the food groups helps us grow big and strong!
Thank you to Saratoga Arts who made our 2021 Nature Exploration Hiking Program possible with a Community Arts Individual Artist Grant funded by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Registration details will be available for each session a month prior to the start date. The 5 week sessions are on hiatus for the summer while our summer theater program in session, but resume in the fall.
2022 Spring Programs
Theater Production Workshop 2022
WHO: Boys and girls who are entering grades 6-10th In September of 2022 and reside in the Towns of Milton, Malta, or Ballston, or the Village of Ballston Spa.
WHEN: Tuesday & Thursday from 6pm-8pm
WHERE: Malta Ave Elementary Auditorium
DATES: 4/12/22 – 5/26/22
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: Theatre Production is a new segment being offered by the BARC Arts Program already well known for its mission of providing low cost recreational programming year-round. In this 6-week session we will be exploring various aspects of theatre production by rehearsing, producing, and performing a short play. The Theater Production class will be exploring visual art through the lens of a well versed and working theatre artist. The students’ work will eventually culminate in a one-hour performance performed for a small audience by invitation only. Future theatre classes will continue being offered based on reception and initial interest.
In this six-week acting intensive, we will work on basic stage acting skills including improvisation, basic scene study, and in-depth text analysis. This class is designed for anyone, entering grades 6-10 in September of 2022, interested in performance and production from the novice to the expert. Our goal will be to create a safe environment wherein each student can feel free to express themselves.
Shane Sczepankowski who has been working in a theatrical capacity for most of his adult life. His educational background is based around collaborative theater making with an intense focus on devising physical work via Shakespeare’s texts. As an actor and director, Shane will discover the potential in each and every rehearsal room in order to create a safe space for all people to be their unique self. Most recently Shane’s graduate work involved creating a touring troupe of Shakespearean scholars, wherein they traveled around the local community, performed early modern text, and taught a series of educational workshops that he developed as part of his co-op theatre company.
COST: $50 per student per 6-week session (not per class).
This is the cost for residents of the Towns of Milton, Malta, or Ballston, and the Village of Ballston Spa- who also reside in the Ballston Spa School District. If you do not reside in the Ballston Spa school district or one of the four listed municipalities, there is an added fee of $25.00.
HOW TO REGISTER: Log onto www.ballstonarearec.org and click on the ‘Register/Log in’ link to be taken to our registration site. If you have already created an online account, you will be able to access the information used from your last registration. If any of your personal information has changed, please update it. If prior to this, you have not registered online for a BARC program, you will need to create an account and register. Regular online registration will run from 3/25/22- 4/10/22. Please email email@example.com if you need help registering.
Virtual Cooking Class 2022
ABOUT: Discover each of the food groups that make up MyPlate! Every week we will focus on a specific food group and prepare a delicious snack that highlights this food group. Follow along, practicing your culinary skills and learn how getting nutrients from each of the food groups helps us grow big and strong!
INSTRUCTOR: Anna Ipsen, MS, RDN, CDN is the Registered Dietitian for the Glenville, Clifton Park, and Ballston Spa Hannaford Supermarkets. It is here that Anna provides free in-store and online nutrition education on a variety of topics, personalized nutrition advice, and healthy eating presentations and demos for the community. Anna obtained her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees and completed her Dietetic Internship from Russell Sage College in Troy, NY. She is also a certified health coach and has her own private practice. In her free time Anna enjoys spending time with her husband and family, exercising at the gym, experimenting in the kitchen, and traveling the world.
WHEN & WHERE: Thursdays from 4:15pm-5:15pm via ZOOM
- 5/5: Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- 5/12: Blueberry Muffins
- 5/19: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- 5/26: Broccoli and Cheese Quiche
- 6/2: Monkey Bread
HOW TO REGISTER: Log onto www.ballstonarearec.org and click on the ‘Register/Log in’ link to be taken to our registration site. If you have already created an online account, you will be able to access the information used from your last registration. If any of your personal information has changed, please update it. If prior to this, you have not registered online for a BARC program, you will need to create an account and register. Registration is online from 4/2/22-4/24/22. Please email the registrar, Cheryl Kelly, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help registering.
Please see the attached flyers for more details on our programs: