Arts Program Coordinator: Ryan Cummings
The BARC Arts Program is a year round arts program that explores various aspects of the arts in 4 – 5 week segments from September through March. Yearly this program will be exploring visual art, music, dance & theater, using the expertise of several artists and performers in our area. Sessions will be offered to a variety of age groups and locations depending on the modality being explored. The cost will be $30-$50 per student per session depending on the materials needed. Some examples of previous sessions are:
- Printmaking- In printmaking your child was guided through the world of printmaking. Your little artist will uses their imagination to design positive and negative prints using a variety of different mediums, inks and rollers to design their own work of art! We will also be carving a variety of materials and creating Japanese Fish prints.
- Mural Painting- In this session students worked together to create a mural that was designed and implemented as a group
- Music in Motion (for Pre-K) – This program introduces your toddlers to both traditional and unique children songs. We learn specific movements and finger plays to songs such as Mulberry Bush, Itsy Bitsy Spider & Little Peter Rabbit among many others.
- Creative Candle Making- In this class students create and build their very own candles each week based on a theme. The students will learn about the candle creating process. This is a very unique and special class that will truly inspire students’ imagination.
- Jewelry Making- In this class students learn to make several different projects using beads and other crafting materials. A variety of different beads and cords will be used to make some jewelry and non-jewelry items. This class takes place on site and at a local business.
- Nature Art Program & Nature Exploration Club- The Nature Art program & Nature Exploration Club both take a non-traditional approach to art in order to engage children’s imagination and creativity. This program focuses on connecting children with the outdoors by using natural art materials. Children who have a connection to the outdoors often have a longer attention span and a better connection to themselves. Our goal is to connect children to themselves and help them better understand their feelings and emotions through non-traditional art. A hike is included in every activity for the Nature Exploration Club.
- Creative Writing & Journaling- Students get to learn the basics of taking their ideas and imagination and turning them into real stories on paper! Participants will learn different expressive styles of writing as well as participate in fun activities to spark creativity!
- Jazzed About Dance- Ready to get Jazzed about Dance? This beginner-friendly rhythm/dance class will incorporate the basics and fun aspects of this dance style along with a choreographed routine to perform on the last day!
- Theater Skills Workshop- In this five week acting intensive, students work on basic stage acting skills including improvisation, scene study and monologues. This is a great class for anyone, grades 6-10, who is interested in acting- whether they are novice or experienced. The goal is to create a safe environment where each student can feel free to express themselves through performing.
- Virtual Cooking Class – Discover each of the food groups that make up MyPlate! Every week we will focus on a specific food group and prepare a delicious snack that highlights this food group. Follow along, practicing your culinary skills and learn how getting nutrients from each of the food groups helps us grow big and strong!
Registration details will be available for each session a month prior to the start date. The 5 week sessions are on hiatus for the summer while our summer theater program in session, but resume in the fall.
Fall 2023 Programs
Dance it out!
WHO: Boys and girls who are entering grades K-5th In September of 2023 and reside in the Towns of Milton, Malta, or Ballston, or the Village of Ballston Spa.
WHEN: Wednesdays from 6p-7p
WHERE: Malta Ave Auditiorium
DATES: 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, & 12/6/23. (No Class 11/22/23)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
Ready to get Dance It Out? This class is beginner friendly while we will incorporate classic jazz technique with some hip-hop flare, along with a choreographed routine to perform on the last day!
Amaya Kilinski has been dancing for over 16 years and has experience in a multitude of styles including Jazz, Tap, Lyrical, and Swing Dancing. Amaya graduated from JDC Dance Center in Ballston Spa and taught with Spa City Swingers Dance Studio from 2015-2019. “I enjoy sharing my lifelong love of dance with learners of all ages and am excited to be working with BARC!”
COST: $60 per student per 6-week session (not per class).
This is the cost for residents of the Towns of Milton, Malta, or Ballston, and the Village of Ballston Spa- who also reside in the Ballston Spa School District. If you do not reside in the Ballston Spa school district or one of the four listed municipalities, there is an added fee of $25.00.
Log onto www.ballstonarearec.org and click on the ‘Register/Log in’ link to be taken to our registration site. Or visit https://ballstonarearec.sportngin.com/register/form/616655359 . If you have already created an online account, you will be able to access the information used from your last registration. If any of your personal information has changed, please update it. If prior to this, you have not registered online for a BARC program, you will need to create an account and register. Regular online registration will run from 9/22/23- 10/2/223. Please email Ryan Cummings at email@example.com if you need help registering.