The BARC Arts Program is a year round arts program that explores various aspects of the arts in 4 – 5 week segments from September through March. Yearly this program will be exploring visual art, music, dance & theater, using the expertise of several artists and performers in our area. Sessions will be offered to a variety of age groups and locations depending on the modality being explored. The cost will be $30-$50 per student per session depending on the materials needed. Some examples of previous sessions are:
- Printmaking- In printmaking your child was guided through the world of printmaking. Your little artist will uses their imagination to design positive and negative prints using a variety of different mediums, inks and rollers to design their own work of art! We will also be carving a variety of materials and creating Japanese Fish prints.
- Mural Painting- In this session students worked together to create a mural that was designed and implemented as a group
- Music in Motion (for Pre-K) – This program introduces your toddlers to both traditional and unique children songs. We learn specific movements and finger plays to songs such as Mulberry Bush, Itsy Bitsy Spider & Little Peter Rabbit among many others.
- Creative Candle Making- In this class students create and build their very own candles each week based on a theme. The students will learn about the candle creating process. This is a very unique and special class that will truly inspire students’ imagination.
- Jewelry Making- In this class students learn to make several different projects using beads and other crafting materials. A variety of different beads and cords will be used to make some jewelry and non-jewelry items. This class takes place on site and at a local business.
- Nature Art Program & Nature Exploration Club- The Nature Art program & Nature Exploration Club both take a non-traditional approach to art in order to engage children’s imagination and creativity. This program focuses on connecting children with the outdoors by using natural art materials. Children who have a connection to the outdoors often have a longer attention span and a better connection to themselves. Our goal is to connect children to themselves and help them better understand their feelings and emotions through non-traditional art. A hike is included in every activity for the Nature Exploration Club.
- Tae Kwon Do- Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts program will help your child improve many character development traits. You will see an improvement in fitness, focus, self-control, and self-esteem. We strive to incorporate the tenants of Tae Kwon Do which includes Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit in every class, all while having fun!
- Theater Skills Workshop- In this five week acting intensive, students work on basic stage acting skills including improvisation, scene study and monologues. This is a great class for anyone, grades 6-10, who is interested in acting- whether they are novice or experienced. The goal is to create a safe environment where each student can feel free to express themselves through performing.
- Virtual Cooking Class – Discover each of the food groups that make up MyPlate! Every week we will focus on a specific food group and prepare a delicious snack that highlights this food group. Follow along, practicing your culinary skills and learn how getting nutrients from each of the food groups helps us grow big and strong!
Thank you to Saratoga Arts who made our 2021 Nature Exploration Hiking Program possible with a Community Arts Individual Artist Grant funded by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Registration details will be available for each session a month prior to the start date. The 5 week sessions are on hiatus for the summer while our summer theater program in session, but resume in the fall.
2021 Tae Kwon Do at
Torres Ultimate Fitness Facility
ABOUT: The Torres Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts program will help your child improve many character development traits. You will see an improvement in fitness, focus, self-control, and self-esteem. We strive to incorporate the tenants of Tae Kwon Do which includes Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit in every class, all while having fun!
INSTRUCTOR: Master Torres (Head Instructor) is the owner of Torres Ultimate Fitness in Malta and an experienced teacher of over 20 years .
WHEN & WHERE: Classes will be held from 4:15-5:15
Grades K-5: Wednesdays: 6/2, 6/9, 6/16, 6/23, 6/30
Grades 6-8: Fridays:6/4, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25, 7/2
Where: 2443 U.S. 9 Suite 305, Malta, NY 12020
For more information on the program please see the attached flyer below:
Nature Exploration Hiking Club
ABOUT: In this program we will be exploring nature at local parks and trails. The activities done over the course of four weeks will incorporate physical activity, arts & crafts, and safety & awareness of our local environment and will increase confidence and comfortability in nature. Each session we will take a hike and have a discussion on some of the things, seen and unseen, in the natural world, then end with an activity and art project related to our talk.
INSTRUCTOR: Emily Cromie is an environmentalist who loves books, riding horses, and working with kids. In her own words, “I grew up on a farm in a rural town, spending most of my life outside building the strong connection to nature that I have today. Attending Castleton University in Vermont fueled my need to learn and ended with a bachelors in Ecological Studies and a minor in Adventure Recreation.” Her passion for the environment has grown into a passion for educating others and helping them find their own connection to nature.
WHEN & WHERE: Classes will be held on Saturdays from 9-11:00 am or 12-2:00 pm (only after the morning sessions have been filled) on the following session dates:
- Session 1: 4/17, 4/24, 5/01, 5/08
- Session 2: 5/15, 5/22, 6/05, 6/12 *No class 5/29
- Session 3: 8/14, 8/21, 8/28, 9/04
The program will be held at the following locations: Malta Ecological Park, 100 Acre Wood,, Woods Hollow Nature Preserve, and Anchor Diamond Park .
THINGS TO KNOW:
Please always wear close toed shoes and clothes that can get dirty. While we will stay on trails, it’s not a complete nature class unless you play in the dirt!
Bring a backpack with a small blanket (for sitting on during projects and nature watching), a water bottle (hydration is very important), a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt, and a small snack if you want (patience is important when in nature and it’s hard to be patient when you’re cold or have a hungry stomach).
Virtual Cooking Class
ABOUT: Discover each of the food groups that make up MyPlate! Every week we will focus on a specific food group and prepare a delicious snack that highlights this food group. Follow along, practicing your culinary skills and learn how getting nutrients from each of the food groups helps us grow big and strong!
INSTRUCTOR: Anna Ipsen, MS, RDN, CDN is the Registered Dietitian for the Glenville, Clifton Park, and Ballston Spa Hannaford Supermarkets. It is here that Anna provides free in-store and online nutrition education on a variety of topics,
personalized nutrition advice, and healthy eating presentations and demos for the community. Anna obtained her
Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees and completed her Dietetic Internship from Russell Sage College in Troy, NY. She
is also a certified health coach and has her own private practice. In her free time Anna enjoys spending time with
her husband and family, exercising at the gym, experimenting in the kitchen, and traveling the world.
WHEN & WHERE: Thursdays from 4pm-4:30pm via ZOOM
5/6: Great Grains: No-Bake Cereal Bars
5/13: Focus on Fruits: Fruit Smoothies
5/20: Vote for Veggies: Rainbow Pinwheels
5/27: Powerful Protein: Mini Egg & Cheese Muffins
6/3: Delicious Dairy: Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits
HOW TO REGISTER: Log onto www.ballstonarearec.org and click on the ‘Register/Log in’ link to be taken to our registration site. If you have already created an online account, you will be able to access the information used from your last registration. If any of your personal information has changed, please update it. If prior to this, you have not registered online for a BARC program, you will need to create an account and register. . Please email the registrar, Cheryl Kelly, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help registering.
Please see the attached flyers for more details on our programs:
* We will be following all state COVID 19 guidelines for recreation programs, which may include restrictions on groups size, equipment usage & spacing. These guidelines will be provided prior to the start of the program.